Infrastructure Transformation Subgroup
The Infrastructure Transformation Subgroup (ITS) of the Digital and Technology Network (DTN) is established to facilitate the exchange of knowledge and expertise and promote inter-agency cooperation and collaboration on ICT infrastructure-related matters within the UN system.
The impact of cloud services will continue to be a dominant driver of change for ICT infrastructure and operations for the next several years. How the UN system can transform its ICT infrastructure to take advantage of this driver is a key focus area for the ITS. Cloud-specific areas of examination include:
- The use of public, private, hybrid and multi-cloud scenarios for the UN system.
- Optimizing workloads for IaaS, PaaS and SaaS.
- Cloud migration, backup and disaster recovery (DR).
- Cloud governance.
- Cloud cost models.
In addition to cloud concerns, the interests of the ITS will include, but are not restricted to, the following areas:
- Sharing of past successes / lessons learnt and exchanges on current priorities;
- Using infrastructure enhancements to improve the speed of delivery;
- Designing software-defined architectures;
- Using provisioning and orchestration in support of automation and self-service
- Using machine learning to enhance monitoring and predictive capabilities;
- Sharing best practices related to identity, IT security engineering and operations, and compliance;
- Evaluating tools that manage both data centre and cloud assets;
- Collaborating on evaluation of new and proposed technologies and approaches;
- Identifying areas for cost management and resource optimization;
- Engaging leading vendors of common interest to share their vision, direction and product roadmaps;
- Reviewing and advising on staffing and team structure models for ICT infrastructure teams within the UN system;
- Recommending methods to expand the skill sets of infrastructure and operations practitioners within the UN system;
- Finding partnership opportunities with private, public sector and academic institutions that support infrastructure transformation; and,
- Providing updates to the DTN on transformational technologies and infrastructure trends of interest to the UN system.
DTN Subgroup ToR - Infrastructure Transformation.pdf
PDF | 128.62 KB